Sports
Viral Tennis Match Sparks Backlash After Wild Card Player Overmatched in Pro Tournament
A first-round match at an International Tennis Federation W35 tournament in Nairobi, Kenya, has gone viral after viewers watched a visibly overmatched player struggle through what organizers now acknowledge was a major oversight.
The match ended in a routine 6-0, 6-0 victory for Germany’s Lorena Schaedel, but it was the performance of her opponent, 21-year-old Hajar Abdelkader of Egypt, that drew worldwide attention. Over the course of just 37 minutes, Abdelkader won only three points, all from her opponent’s unforced errors, and recorded 20 double faults. Video of the match quickly spread online, with many viewers questioning how she had been allowed into a professional tournament.
Tennis Kenya confirmed to CNN that Abdelkader was granted entry as a wild card after submitting a formal request. A spot in the main draw opened when another player withdrew at the last minute, and Abdelkader was the only remaining applicant. Tournament officials said the decision was made based on the information provided and in an effort to maintain a full draw.
However, Tennis Kenya later conceded the move was a mistake. In a statement, the organization said the wild card should not have been granted given the competitive level of the event and promised that such a situation would not happen again. Officials emphasized their commitment to fairness, transparency, and the integrity of professional competition.
The Egyptian Tennis Federation also distanced itself from the situation, stating Abdelkader is not registered with the federation and that it played no role in her nomination or approval for the tournament. According to limited records, Abdelkader has reportedly been playing tennis for several years, though her performance raised widespread doubts among viewers and analysts.
ITF tournaments represent the lowest tier of professional tennis but still carry ranking points and prize money, with the Nairobi event offering $25,000 to the winner. Some critics argued that Abdelkader’s participation came at the expense of more qualified players.
The match video has since been removed from official platforms, and Tennis Kenya said it has reached out to both players to offer support, acknowledging the personal toll the viral attention may have caused.
Credit: CNN Newsource
Explore: NBCPalmSprings.com, where we are connecting the Valley.
By: CNN Newsource
January 8, 2026


