CA, US & World
President Trump Says Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities Will End February 1

President Donald Trump says his administration will stop providing federal funding to sanctuary cities and to states that include those cities, as part of what he describes as a continued push to enforce immigration laws.
Speaking Tuesday at the Detroit Economic Club in Michigan, Trump said the policy will take effect February 1. Under the plan, the federal government would withhold payments from jurisdictions that limit cooperation with federal immigration authorities.
Trump said the move is necessary because he believes sanctuary cities, in his words, “do everything possible to protect criminals at the expense of American citizens.” He framed the funding cutoff as a key step in what he has called an immigration crackdown.
Sanctuary cities are municipalities that have policies restricting local law enforcement from assisting federal immigration enforcement, often limiting when officers can share information or detain individuals based on immigration status.
The announcement comes after legal challenges to similar efforts in the past. Last year, a federal judge blocked the Trump administration from denying funding to more than 30 cities that had adopted policies limiting cooperation with federal immigration authorities.
It is not yet clear how the administration plans to navigate potential legal hurdles tied to the new policy or how quickly the funding changes could be implemented once February begins.
Further details on which specific funding streams could be affected have not yet been released.
Credit: CNN Newsource
Explore: NBCPalmSprings.com, where we are connecting the Valley.
By: CNN Newsource
January 13, 2026


