National Sports

Jannik Sinner Withdraws From US Open With Knee Injury

Jannik Sinner Withdraws From US Open With Knee Injury

World No. 1 Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the 2026 US Open because of a right knee injury, the Italian tennis star announced Friday.

Sinner said he had been working with his team and medical staff but determined he needs additional time to recover.

The 25-year-old has not played since winning Wimbledon last month, his fifth career Grand Slam singles title. He also missed the Masters 1000 events in Montreal and Cincinnati.

Sinner said he was disappointed to miss the US Open, describing New York as a special place and saying he had been looking forward to returning to compete in front of the tournament's fans.

The withdrawal marks the first time Sinner will miss a Grand Slam tournament since making his debut at that level in 2019.

Sinner won the US Open in 2024 and reached the final last year, where he lost to Carlos Alcaraz.

Alcaraz, the world's No. 2-ranked player, is expected to return to competition at this year's US Open after missing the last four months with a wrist injury. The 23-year-old Spaniard announced Thursday that he would return and defend his US Open title.

Alcaraz won his first Grand Slam title at the US Open in 2022 at age 19. That victory also made him the youngest player to reach the No. 1 ranking in ATP history.

The 2026 US Open main draw is scheduled for August 30 through September 13 at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, New York. The men's and women's singles draws are scheduled to be announced August 27.

CNN reported that the story is developing.

By: CNN Newsource

August 21, 2026

Jannik SinnerUS OpenUS Open 2026knee injurytennisCarlos AlcarazWimbledongrand slamArthur Ashe StadiumFlushing Meadows
Link Copied To Clipboard!
Jannik Sinner Withdraws From US Open With Knee Injury